Sunday 22 February 2015

Indigo Bunting



Yet more music. This was conceived whilst listening to Dukes of Stratosphear's psychedelic masterpiece Chips from the Chocolate Fireball, and was also inspired by the cover of Mike Batt's Waves, which I haven't heard, although the cover is nice. I wonder who painted it? If only there was an electronic directory of facts that I could consult.

(looks it up)

It was painted by Ida Rentoul Outhwaite, an Australian children's book painter woman lady who lived from 1888 to 1960. Her paintings put me in mind of Winsor Mccay and Alfons Mucha. Why do they appeal to me? As with Tangerine Dream a few posts ago, it's because their work is unlike the art I grew up with; not just stylistically, but conceptually. Mucha's paintings don't have a political dimension, and they don't look like a Japanese cartoon.

People in the medium past - in the dip between the ancient past and yesterday - probably thought that Mucha and Beardsley etc were old-fashioned, but to my eyes their work seems fresh and new. For all I know they may have been derivative hacks in their day; if they were, history does not record the giants on whose shoulders on which they stood. On.